Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Why blog?

For those of you that don't know me already, I am a convert of some 15 years and I have lots of views that would probably be considered radical by most Muslims if not down right wrong. Way back when, I took a very dogmatic approach to the religion and it got me nowhere. I am a seeker and a researcher by nature and many arguments put out by "mainstream" scholars just don't hold up in the larger context of the reality of life. I was faced with a decision. Live trying to believe in principles that were never part of my world view, or find some way to reconcile Islam and my beliefs as a modern, educated woman. So about 3 years ago now, I just gave up even trying to live by the standard advice all the scholars give.

Ironically? It was something said by a person who just gets more wahabi every time I hear him speak that pushed me in this direction. I was listening to his tapes (because you know music is haram, right?) on a trip from Denver and he said something about why we should give the khutba(sermon) in other languages even though people will claim it is sunnah to give it in Arabic. Here it is: yes, the prophet gave the khutba in Arabic. But the people around him all spoke Arabic. So MAYBE the real sunnah is to give the khutba in the language of the people to whom you are speaking. He then went on to extrapolate and talk about clothes, manners, everything. He called the idea a "deeper" sunnah. Mind blown! I could not believe I had never thought of it before! It just makes so much sense!

Years later, I have embraced so many things that I was avoiding. I not only listen to music, I play it. I have dogs. I don't think hijab is that important anymore. I am a huge supporter of LGBT rights in all areas (yes, even in the mosque *gasp*). I don't go to the mosque (more on that later). I think the partitions at mosques should be there, but only used by women who want that level of separation. I think all religions are created equal. I value science and lean heavily towards scepticism.

"Why should I care?" you ask? Glad you did. You should care because I have a sneaking suspicion the majority of Muslims are more like me than the aunties and uncles represented at the local mosque. That is why we are running away from the mosque (and sometimes Islam in general). We have to start talking, or we will all silently pull away into our own little corner and nothing will ever change. Every religion has its time of reform. Maybe right now is that time for Islam. Because what I see happening in the community is either a war cry or a swan's song. Whichever it might be, the Islam my children know as adults won't be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment